5/12/10

Campana Brothers




The Campana Brothers came up in conversation today so I thought I would pay my respects to the influential designers on Twin Pique. Best known for their furniture made out of found materials, including rubber hose, tissue paper and teddy bears, the brothers draw their inspiration from the streets of Brazil. Their goal is to transform “something poor into something decadent” and I think that has a lot to do with the creative reuse that happens every day in the slums of Sao Paulo. I’m familiar with a lot of their furniture, but discovered a project today I hadn’t heard of—sheets of plywood embedded with stuffed animals. Apparently during the process of gluing layers together to make plywood, the brothers would throw various stuffed animals into the machine, resulting in sheets of plywood with furry friends sticking halfway out. I’m dying to find an image of this and hope to post one soon. Even better would be an image of a whole wall installed in an actual home. I’ll see what I can come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment